Relay for Life postponed

SHARE
Happier times . . . The organising committee of the Dunedin Relay for Life at the Caledonia Ground earlier this month. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the event has been postponed until later in the year. PHOTO: BRENDA HARWOOD

Keeping people safe, particularly vulnerable cancer survivors, is top of mind for the Cancer Society, which has postponed the 2020 Dunedin Relay for Life.

In a statement released on Tuesday, the Cancer Society of New Zealand announced the postponement of Relay for Life events across the country, which had been scheduled between now and April6.

“The Cancer Society takes the health and well-being of our communities seriously,” the statement said.

Cancer Society Otago-Southland Events and Community Campaigns team leader Tracey Fleet said the postponement was disappointing, but necessary to protect the wellbeing of participants.

“The Relay for Life involves cancer survivors, and people who are unwell and immune compromised, so their safety is paramount,” Mrs Fleet said.

The Cancer Society thanked all event participants, volunteers and staff for the huge amount of work they had put in to planing for the event.

New dates would be announced in due course, and “it is our absolute intention to do something”, she said.

Relay for Life is a major fundraiser for the Cancer Society, allowing the organisation to deliver vital services across New Zealand.

The event also aims to celebrate those who have had cancer, remember those who have passed away and fight back by raising funds for services.