The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra continues to expand its popular livestream performances and on-demand digital content while the country’s level 4 lockdown prevents live concerts.
This week’s free ‘‘Play Our Part’’ online showcase by NZSO musicians, performing in their homes, highlights the talents of the orchestra’s string sections.
Curated by first violin Anne Loeser, the performance features music by Schubert, Elgar, JS. Bach and more.
The NZSO players are joined by family and friends, including guest soprano Maaike Christie-Beekman.
The weekly Play Our Part performances and other content can be viewed On Demand at live.nzso.co.nz.
The NZSO will also this week announce more free online performances and educational content.
With the ongoing uncertainty due to the Covid-19 coronaviru pandemic, the NZSO has cancelled all live concerts and associated events until July 31.
The orchestra had previously suspended concerts until May.
NZSO interim chief executive Peter Biggs said, as there were likely to be restrictions on public events and admission of overseas artists entering New Zealand at all covid-19 alert levels, scheduled performances could not be presented in the coming months.
“I know that many New Zealanders were looking forward to enjoying this diverse range of concerts, as was every one of our guest artists, conductors, NZSO and NZSO National Youth Orchestra players,” Mr Biggs said.
“We’re working hard to present some of the same projects and to bring some of the same artists to New Zealand in the future.
“The NZSO remains committed to ensuring the longevity and sustainability of the country’s national orchestra.
“We thank all New Zealanders, our partners and donors, for their understanding and loyal, ongoing support during these uncertain times.”
The NZSO is encouraging patrons to wait to hear from the orchestra before getting in touch, as it needs to works through the process.